Aged Care & Carer Education (Care Assistant Course details)
Palliative Education for Care Assistants Course (click here for the complete flier 2023)
Gain knowledge of the basics of palliative care
No charge for these Education Sessions for Care assistants who have an interest in palliative care, on completion of this course the attendees will receive a certificate of attendance.
This education provides the critical principle, practical knowledge and foundational skills of palliative care to care assistants and home-based support workers - but anyone can attend who has not had Palliative care experience and would like to feel they have knowledge in their role. It is provided as a "stepping stone" to the more comprehensive Fundamentals of Palliative Care.
For further information, please contact Paula King - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Session one - Wednesday 4th October 1pm-3pm - What is Palliative Care? What is Holistic Care? This session is a prerequisite for all other sessions.
- Session two - Wednesday 11th October 1pm-3pm - Communication Awareness - Body Language. Managing common symptoms including pain.
- Session three - Wednesday 18th October 1pm-3pm - Delirium, Dementia and Depression. Understanding dying and death.
- Session four - Wednesday 25th October 1pm - 3pm - Understanding Loss and Grief. Looking after yourself.
Hosted @ Te Kahu Pairuri Hospice Taranaki, Te Rangimarie, 5 David St, Westown, New Plymouth
Fundamentals of Palliative Care (click here for the complete flyer)
Palliative care concepts and culture of care
If for any reason you are unable to attend the Palliative care for care assistants course face to face, Hospice NZ now runs the Fundamentals for palliative care online, below is a link to register for this course, on completion of these modules you will be required to come back to Hospice Taranaki for a series of 3 workshops which will be held onsite face to face in October. Register here for face to face workshops
- Session One - Wednesday 3rd May 1pm-4.30pm - Essence of Palliative Care. Ethical Issues of Palliative Care. This session is a prerequisite for all other sessions.
- Session Two - Wednesday 10th May 1pm-4.30pm - Pain and Symptom Management. Palliative Care for People with Chronic Illness.
- Session Three - Wednesday 17th May 1pm-4.30pm - Palliative Care for People with Dementia. Communication Skills
- Session Four - Wednesday 24th May 1pm-4.30pm - Last Days of Life. Loss and Grief. Caring for Ourselves. Spiritual Care.
Requests for Education either at Te Rangimarie or offsite are invited - email Paula.
ALTERNATIVELY, WE ARE PROVIDING EDUCATIONAL VIDEOS...
We understand time is precious, and release from work for ongoing education can be challenging at times. We have developed some short 10-15 min education videos on the Five most common symptoms experienced at end of life.
Do you have a short period of availability within your work day? Take the opportunity to view at least one topic. Feedback is invited from you - email Paula
Te Kahu Pairuri Hospice Taranaki does not have the capability to monitor/collect information on those that have viewed these educational training videos. If you are a ACF employee, please inform your Manager so that your professional development records can be updated to reflect your personal learning - from viewing these videos.
ACF Newsletter - #HOSPICELINK
Our monthly newsletter has been designed to assist Care workers with palliative care education and training information. The one-page newsletter is light and informative.
Previous issues can be downloaded from here...